It’s that time again… Pumpkin lattes, flannel shirts, bonfires, and fall festivals! What better way to enjoy this beautiful season than with your furry friend at your side? The Richmond area is loaded with fun things to do with your pup!
We have put together a list of fun, dog friendly events in our area for fall. Many events are not yet published at the time of this writing, so when you hear of a dog-friendly event that is not included in this blog, please reply and let us know!
Before we get started, let’s go over a few things we should all keep in mind when we are out in public with our dog:
1) Always carry poop bags and use them!
2) Take along fresh water for your pup.
3) Make sure your dog stays on a leash at all times while in public.
4) If your dog isn’t happy around people and/or lots of activity, please leave them at home where they will be more comfortable.
5) If your dog has not been taught “good manners”, it’s not a good idea to take them around other people. I’m sure you don’t want them to be a nuisance to others.
6) September and October can still be very hot in our area…. Keep an eye on your pup to make sure they do not get overheated or burn their little paws on the pavement.
One more thing… You can have the confidence of knowing that your dog will behave properly in any situation with professional dog training . Contact our Trainers at Holiday Barn Pet Resorts for more information about our Personal Dog Training program. Wouldn’t it be great to take your dog along wherever you go and know that he/she will be on their best behavior?
You have a busy season ahead of you! Have a great time!
(Drum roll please…)
ATTACHED is a listing of 41 Dog Friendly Festivals and Events in Richmond, VA! Listing is sorted by date, beginning September 1st!
Whew! If you have any time (or energy) left, let’s not forget all the amazing businesses around our area who allow our pups to visit daily or on a regular basis:
Dog friendly markets in Richmond, VA
● The Farmers Market at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church – Open year-round on Saturdays, the market moves outdoors for spring, summer and fall through mid-November. Your dog is welcome to come with you! Market hours are 8:00 AM until noon. The St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church is located at 6000 Grove Avenue in Richmond.
● Farmer’s Market at Dorey Park – Every Saturday from through late October, your dog can go shopping with you at Dorey Park from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM! Dorey Park’s address is 2999 Darbytown Road in Henrico.
● The 17th Street Farmer’s Market (100 N 17th Street) in Richmond is always a pleasant, dog-friendly place to visit!
• South of the James Farmer’s Market is located at New Kent Ave, Richmond, VA 23225. Leashed dogs are welcome!
Dog friendly breweries in Richmond, VA
● Hardywood Park Craft Brewery – West Creek – Leashed Dogs are allowed on their expansive outdoor grounds, just not in the taproom. Every Wednesday through October 23rd, the West Creek location will have Food Truck Court from 5:00 – 9:00 PM! Hardywood West Creek is located at 820 Sanctuary Trail Drive, Richmond.
● Hardywood Park Craft Brewery – Richmond – Same Food Truck fun as their West Creek location (above), but on Thursdays! Last one for the season is October 24th. Conveniently located at their Richmond taproom, 2410 Ownby Lane in Richmond. Leashed dogs welcome! Hours vary slightly, 5:00 PM – 9:30 PM.
● Strangeways Brewing – Strangeways Brewing has a super fun, pet friendly, Biergarten! The Biergarten is complete with water bowls and dog treats for your dog to enjoy. It’s a fun place to come hang and play! The brewery is located at 2277 Dabney Rd, Richmond, VA 23230.
● Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery is always dog-friendly and a great place to hang out on a crisp early fall evening. The brewery is located at 4100 Knolls Point Dr, Goochland, VA 23063.
● Isley Brewing Co. has a spacious, pooch-friendly outdoor patio that frequently hosts live music. They are located at 1715 Summit Avenue in Richmond.
Dog friendly restaurants and shopping in Richmond, VA
● Take your dog shopping at Stony Point Fashion Park! Many of the shops and restaurant patios are pet friendly!
● The E. Clairborne and Lora Robins Sculpture Garden at the Virginia Museum of Fine arts is a beautiful outdoor retreat. In addition to its expansive lawn, where you’ll find people doing yoga, walking their dogs, eating lunch on the patio, or just taking in a pretty day, you can enjoy captivating art work, water features, and sculpture exhibits. The address for the garden is 200 N. Boulevard, Richmond.
● The Hollywood Cemetery is one of our city’s most treasured attractions. Leashed dogs are allowed and must be both human and animal-friendly. Your dog will enjoy a quiet walk and fresh air, while you enjoy the beautiful scenery. The address for the Hollywood Cemetery is 412 S Cherry St, Richmond, VA 23220.
You’ll love this too… Here is a link to our listing of dog-friendly Richmond area parks!