Poor dogs… how frustrating it must be to not be able to talk. I mean, they do “talk” in their…
If you have a dog, Richmond is the place to be! We are fortunate to have so many dog-friendly venues! From events, restaurants, parks, baseball games to shopping malls, dogs can do just about anything in our area! Weekends are filled with sightings of dogs in cars heading out for a fun day with the family. What a great place to live, right?
There are a few things to remember when taking your best furry friend out for a day of fun in the sun… First, take along some fresh water. As you know, Richmond is really hot in the summertime and your dog is wearing a fur coat. Water may not always be accessible, and your pup could quickly overheat. Secondly, don’t forget the poop bags! To make sure that our dogs continue to be able to join us in public places, we need to be good advocates of them, making sure to pick up their waste. Lastly, be cognizant of your dog’s delicate little paw pads and just how hot that pavement may be. Burned paw pads can be very painful.
We have put together a list of dog-friendly events and activities going on around Richmond, VA this summer for you and your BFF (Best Furry Friend) to enjoy together. The two of you will have great time and he’ll sleep like a baby when you get home!
● Pups and Pints – Beginning in April, Pups and Pints takes place at Ellwood Thompson’s the 2nd Thursday of every month from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM. This spring, Ellwood Thompson is proud to partner with local breweries to support a different animal-loving, non-profit neighbor each month. $1 from every drink sold goes to the non-profit partner. For more information, click here.
● Fido’s After Five – Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden partners with the Richmond SPCA allowing leashed dogs during “Flower’s After 5”. Known as “Fido’s After Five”, this fun event takes place on the following on the nights: June 14 & 28, July 12 & 26, August 9 & 23, September 13 , 2018. Live music, food and fun! Bring a blanket! In addition to the regular admission fee, a $2.00 suggested “pet admission” goes to the Richmond SPCA. Have you never been to the botanical gardens? Their address is 1800 Lakeside Avenue in Henrico! You’ll love it.
● The Farmers Market at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church – Open year-round on Saturdays, the market moves outdoors for spring, summer and fall starting on Saturday, April 7th, and running through November 17th. Your dog is welcome to come with you! Market hours are 8:00 AM until noon. The St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church is located at 6000 Grove Avenue in Richmond.
● Hardywood Park Craft Brewery – West Creek – Leashed Dogs are allowed on their expansive outdoor grounds, just not in the taproom. Starting April 11th, and on every Wednesday thereafter, the West Creek location will have Food Truck Court from 5:00 – 9:00 PM! Hardywood West Creek is located at 820 Sanctuary Trail Drive, Richmond.
● Hardywood Park Craft Brewery – Richmond – Same Food Truck fun as their West Creek location (above), but on Thursdays! Conveniently located at their Richmond taproom, 2410 Ownby Lane in Richmond. Leashed dogs welcome! Hours vary slightly, 5:00 PM – 9:30 PM.
● Farmer’s Market at Dorey Park – Every Saturday from June 2nd to October 27th, your dog can go shopping with you at Dorey Park from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM! Dorey Park’s address is 2999 Darbytown Road in Henrico.
● The 17th Street Farmer’s Market (100 N 17th Street) in Richmond is always a pleasant, dog-friendly place to visit!
● Yappy Hour at Strangeways Brewing – Strangeways Brewing is proud to support local nonprofit animal advocacy groups through monthly Yappy Hours, March – November, 5:00 – 9:00PM. Beer tastings for the humans and treats for the pups! And, oh, it’s free! Contact Strangeways Brewing for exact dates.
● The Richmond Squirrel’s Bark in the Park – As one of the Richmond Squirrel’s most popular nights of baseball, “Bark in the Park” is now every Monday home game. The Squirrel’s have a new ticket plan that is geared around Monday dog nights too, which includes a cute doggie bandana or a doggie jersey, depending on which package you purchase. How fun is that?! For scheduling information, visit the Richmond Squirrel’s webpage.
● Dominion Riverrock – Dominion Riverrock is May 18th – 20th at Brown’s Island. From music to mud pits, bikes to beer, sups to pups and climbing to kayaks, this event is uniquely Richmond! Dominion Riverrock is arguably the most dog-friendly event in Richmond. Hours: Pretty much all day on all 3 days! Visit their website for more information.
● Richmond Vegetarian Festival – Well-behaved, leashed, vaccinated, healthy dogs are welcome at the Vegetarian Festival. This year the festival is on June 23rd from Noon till 6:00 PM. Food, music, guest speakers and FUN is on the agenda! This event takes place at Azalea Gardens in Bryan Park, 4308 Hermitage Road in Richmond.
● Hanover Vegetable Farm’s Third Annual Strawberry and Wine Festival – Leashed pets are welcomed to enjoy two days of music, vendors and, of course, strawberries! Wine and Beer for the humans! This fabulous festival takes place on Saturday, May 19th from 11:00 – 6:00 PM and on Sunday, May 20th from 11:00 – 5:00 PM. The Hanover Vegetable Farm is at 13580 Ashland Road in Ashland.
● Hanover Tomato Festival – It doesn’t get more fun for you and your dog than at the Hanover Tomato Festival. This year the festival is on Saturday, July 14th from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM at Pole Green Park in Mechanicsville. Live musical entertainment, rides, games, over 150 vendors, delicious tomato dishes and much more! Be sure to treat your pup to a visit to the “Bow Wow Beach” cooling station.
● Carytown Watermelon Festival – The Carytown Watermelon Festival is Sunday, August 12th, from 10:00AM – 6:00PM. Our guests love watermelon, and your pup probably does too! If he is comfortable around 115,000 people, 60 musicians, and 150 exhibitors, then he will have a great time at the Watermelon Festival. We know you will too!
● Hanover Mater, Corks & Kegs Festival – Those folks at the Hanover Vegetable Farm know how to paw-ty! The dog-friendly Hanover Mater, Corks & Kegs Festival takes place on June 23rd from 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM, at the farm, 13580 Ashland Road in Ashland. Live music, BBQ, Local brews, 8 wineries and 70+ Vendors! Proceeds benefiting Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society.
● Ashland Strawberry Faire – The Ashland Strawberry Faire is Saturday, June 16th from 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM at Randolph Macon College in Ashland. The Faire is a traditional celebration to promote the community and celebrate the strawberry harvest. In addition to amazing food, including all of your strawberry favorites, of course, there will be lots of fun vendors and live entertainment by various musical, dance and demonstration groups in the community. Dogs are welcome! In fact, you can enter him/her in the Pet Pageant!
● History Hounds – In partnership with the Richmond SPCA, the History Hounds will take to the trail on Sunday, May 27th from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM. The Valentine Richmond History Center invites you and your dog to come along for this walking tour of Richmond’s Scotts Addition. Dogs must be up to date on vaccinations, mix well with others, and remain on a leash. For more information, visit the Richmond SPCA web site.
● On Sunday, June 24th, the History Hounds explore the Museum District. Same time – 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM!
● Pints for Pups at Rock Bottom Brewery – Join the Richmond SPCA at Rock Bottom Brewery at the Short Pump Town Center on Sunday, May 20th, from Noon till 3:00 PM for Pints for Pups! In support of National Rescue Dog Day, Rock Bottom will be donating 10% of total sales to the Richmond SPCA.
● “Saturday Live” at Meadow Farm Museum – Meadow Farm will present Saturday Live from 12 PM to 3:30 PM on the first Saturday of each month through the month of August. Enjoy an afternoon of interactive live history demonstrations as you explore this mid-19th century farm – from blacksmithing and wool dyeing to woodworking, cooking and gardening. All Henrico parks are dog-friendly! Crump Park, Meadow Farm Museum is located at 3400 Mountain Road in Glen Allen – just a couple blocks from Holiday Barn Pet Resorts (If you’ve never been to our Glen Allen location, stop by for a tour while you’re in the area!)!
● Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery “Goochland at the Farm” – Monday, May 14th through Sunday, May 20th Lickinghole Brewery celebrates American Craft Beer Week! Always dog-friendly, join them in Goochland at the ‘Farm’ (4100 Knolls Point Drive in Goochland) for tastings, tours, and all the majestic beauty it has to offer! Or visit their Richmond location at Shockoe Bottom, 1717 E. Franklin Street for daily specials and their own ‘Food Truck’ inspired and Beer infused Eats. Hours: Monday through Thursday, 4 PM -10 PM, Friday, 4 PM-12 AM, Saturday, 12 PM-12 PM, and Sunday, 12 PM-8 PM.
● Red, White and Lights – This year, Henrico County is moving their July 4th celebration to Dorey Park! From 4:00 PM – 10:00 PM this event features live entertainment, food trucks, and children’s activities. At dusk, enjoy a concert by the Richmond Symphony, accompanied by fireworks and laser light show! Your pup will enjoy all the activities up until the fireworks…then he may be more comfortable at home.
● The 6th Annual Smoke and Vine Festival is back and it has been revived! Now located at pet-friendly Henricus Historical Park, the area’s newest wine and cigar festival is now in its 6th year. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets… and your dog! Henricus Historical Park is located at 251 Henricus Park Road in Chester.
● The Celebrate Varina Festival takes place on June 2nd at dog-friendly Dorey Park! As always, dogs must be leashed at all times. There will be games, vendors, live music, and exhibitors, with a variety of concessions available to purchase. The festival is from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM. The address for Dorey park is 2999 Darbytown Road, in Henrico.
● The RVA East End Festival is May 25th and May 26th at the 17th Street Market in Shockoe Bottom. The Festival is an inclusive community celebration highlighting the diverse neighborhoods and unique quality of Richmond’s East End. The 17th Street Market is always a dog-friendly place to visit!
●Outdoor Movies at Short Pump Park – Short Pump Park is located at 3329 Pump Road – right across from Short Pump Crossing Shopping Center. This summer, they will be showing “The Secret Life of Pets” on June 8th, and “Moana” on July 13th! The movies start at 8:00 PM. There is a Dog Park on the grounds and it will be open during the movie too… just in case Fido gets a little restless!
●Sandston Memorial Day Parade is May 28th! The parade starts at Seven Pines Elementary School and goes down Williamsburg Road through Sandston to Confederate Avenue. The parade starts at 1:00 PM with lots of fun post-parade festivities beginning at 2:00 and ending at 4:00 PM. Your pup is welcome!
● Sundae Funday is Sunday, August 26th from 2:00 – 4:00 PM at Walkerton Tavern. Free ice cream while supplies last, music, and tours of the Tavern. Walkerton Tavern is located at 2892 Mountain Road, about a mile from our Glen Allen Resort.
● Bugstock – Bring your dog to the VW Cruise-in and car show! There will be music and food trucks too! The event takes place on August 12th from 12:00- 4:00 PM at Twin Hickory Park. The park address is 5011 Twin Hickory Road in Glen Allen.
● The 2nd Annual Richmond Wine Festival is definitely dog friendly! It wouldn’t be a Richmond event without your furry friends (Their words!) The Wine festival is at James River Cellars Winery, 11008 Washington Highway, in Glen Allen. Come enjoy some great local wines, music all day, and food trucks on June 2nd from 12:00 PM – 5:00 PM!
● Ardent Craft Ale Fourth Anniversary Block Party is Saturday, June 16th from 12:00 PM – 8:00 PM! The party is on Leigh Street where they are shutting down the street to vehicles right in front of their 3200 West Leigh Street brewery! The party will feature brews from Adent and other guest breweries, food trucks, and live music. Friendly dogs are welcome as long as they remain leashed.
● The Richmond Road Runner’s Club Thanks Dad 5K & Kids Run is June 17th. Runners with a single dog on a leash are permitted at the rear of the starting corral. This fun event will take place at The Urban Farmoouse Market & Cafe, 13872 Coalfield Commons Place, Midlothian. Race begins at 8:30 AM!
● Broad Appetit -Foodie Festival on West Broad Street is Sunday, June 3rd. The festival will be from 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM. It takes place on West Broad Street between Henry and Adams!
● The Boxer Brief 5K Run Walk – to raise awareness of colon cancer. It’s June 9th at 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM! Lots of fun family activities! It’s at Stony Point Fashion Park and your furry friends are welcome!
● Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery is always dog-friendly and a great place to hang out on a summer evening.
● Take your dog shopping at Stony Point Fashion Park! Many of the shops and restaurant patios are pet friendly!
● The E. Clairborne and Lora Robins Sculpture Garden at the Virginia Museum of Fine arts is a beautiful outdoor retreat. In addition to its expansive lawn, where you’ll find people doing yoga, walking their dogs, eating lunch on the patio, or just taking in a pretty day, you can enjoy captivating art work, water features and sculpture exhibits.
● The Hollywood Cemetery is one of our city’s most treasured attractions. Leashed dogs are allowed and must be both human and animal-friendly. Your dog will enjoy a quiet walk and fresh air, while you enjoy the beautiful scenery.
● Isley Brewing Co. has a spacious, pooch-friendly outdoor patio that frequently hosts live music. They are located at 1715 Summit Avenue in Richmond.
Here is a link to our listing of dog-friendly Richmond area parks.
The Richmond SPCA publishes an awesome Pet-Friendly guide for Richmond. It provides an extensive list of local restaurants, dog parks, hotels, etc., with a convenient search tool to find just what you’re looking for!
There are many more activities throughout the Richmond area this summer, some of which may be dog-friendly. It’s always best to call ahead and find out. If you know of other dog-friendly events in our area, we’d love to hear from you!
Have a wonderful summer with your best furry friend!
Poor dogs… how frustrating it must be to not be able to talk. I mean, they do “talk” in their…
Ahhh… Your perfect June wedding… white lace, fresh flowers, dainty pearls and sparkling diamonds, champagne, poop bags, pretty table…. Uh……