Believe it or not, Richmond is not just all about craft beer and good food! Richmond is also known for being extremely dog-friendly! From dog-friendly events, restaurants, parks, baseball games to shopping malls, dogs can do just about anything in Richmond! Weekends are filled with sightings of dogs riding shotgun in cars, or with their head stuck out of the window, tongues flapping in the wind… heading out for a fun day with the family. What a great place to live, right?
Are you looking for something fun to do with your dog this summer, that is, when he’s not too busy playing at Holiday Barn Pet Resort’s doggie daycare? We have put together a list of events and activities in our area for you and your pooch to enjoy together. You and your dog will have a blast, and he’ll sleep like a baby when he gets home!
Dog Friendly Events Going on Every Week
• Bark in the Park – As one of the Richmond Squirrels most popular night of baseball, “Bark in the Park” is now an every game-night occurrence! From April through September, dogs get in free! Take me out to the ballgame!
• Yappy Hour at Strangeways Brewing – This great event takes place on the 3rd Wednesday of every month, from April through October! Beer tastings for the humans, and treats for the pups! And, oh, it’s FREE!
• Pups and Pints – Similarly, beginning in April, Pups and Pints takes place at Ellwood Thompsons the 2nd Thursday of every month from 5:00pm – 7:00pm, with live music and pints of your favorite beer. Proceeds benefit a different local animal welfare group each week. FREE AGAIN!
• Fido’s After Five – Hosted at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month, from June to mid-September. Your $2 pet fee will benefit the Richmond SPCA. Live music, food, and fun from 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM! Bring a blanket!
• The Farmers Market at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church - open year round on Saturdays! The market moves outdoors for spring, summer and fall on Saturday, April 4, and your dog is welcome to come with you! Market hours are 8 a.m. until noon.
Festivals & Events You and Your Dog Will Enjoy this Summer
• Dominion Riverrock – Dominion Riverrock is May 19th – 21st at Browns Island. Hailed as the nation’s largest outdoor sports and music festival, Riverrock is a super fun event for you and your dog!
• Richmond Vegetarian Festival -Vegetables may not be your dog’s favorite food, but well-behaved, leashed, vaccinated, healthy dogs are welcome at the Richmond Vegetarian Festival! It’s on June 24th from noon ‘til 6:00 PM. Food, music, guest speakers and FUN is on the agenda! The event takes place at Azalea Gardens in Bryan park.
• Hanover Vegetable Farm’s Strawberry and Wine Festival – Leashed pets are welcomed to enjoy two days of wine, beer, music, vendors, and strawberries! 11:00 AM May 20th, through 6vPM May 21st!
• Hanover Tomato Festival – It doesn’t get more fun for you and your pet than at the Hanover Tomato Festival! This year it’s on Saturday, July 8, 2017. Live musical entertainment, rides, games, a petting zoo, over 200 vendors, delicious tomato dishes, and much more! The event takes place at Pole Green Park in Mechanicsville from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM.
• Carytown Watermelon Festival – Carytown Watermelon Festival is Sunday, August 13th. If your dog is okay with 115,000 people, 80 musicians, and 100 exhibitors, then he may enjoy the Watermelon Festival. We know you will! 10:00AM – 6:00PM.
• Ashland Strawberry Faire – Ashland Strawberry Faire is June 3rd, 2017 from 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM. In addition to amazing food – including all of your strawberry favorites, of course, there will be booths representing arts and crafts, civic organizations, public service, antiques, and businesses. Also, live entertainment by various musical, dance and demonstration groups in the community. Dogs are welcome! As a matter of fact, you can enter him/her in the Pet Pageant!
• Doswell Wine Festival – If you’re up for a 20 – 30-minute drive, you can bring your dog and hang out on the lawn, eat, shop, and drink! Admission is around $25 per person and is on May 20th from 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM.
• History Hounds – This summer the History Hounds explore Ginter Park on May 27th; On June 24th the History Hounds explore Richmond’s canals, and on July 22nd the History Hounds explore Church Hill. The tours are from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM. Reservations are required and the cost is $15 per person. For more information visit thevalentine.org
• Under the Stars Outdoor movie – July 29th at Crump Park Meadow Farm Museum, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM. Enjoy it with your dog! No admission!
• Red, White and Lights – July 4th at Crump Park Meadow Farm Museum, 4:00 PM – 10:00P M. A spectacular evening celebrating independence and honoring America’s veterans. Your pup will enjoy all of the festivities up until the fireworks… then he may be more comfortable at home.
Dogs Friendly Places You Can Visit Everyday in Richmond
• Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery is always dog-friendly and a great place to hang out on a summer evening. Please make sure their shots are up to date, clean up after them and keep them on a leash.
• Take your dog shopping at Stony Point Fashion Park! Many shops and restaurant patios are pet-friendly!
• The E. Claiborne and Lora Robins Sculpture Garden at the Virginia Museum of Fine arts is a beautiful outdoor retreat and is ideal for walking your dog!
• The Hollywood Cemetery is one of our city’s most treasured attractions. Leashed dogs are allowed and they must be both human and animal-friendly. Your dog will enjoy a quiet walk with you while enjoying the fresh air and beautiful scenery.
There are many more activities throughout the Richmond area this summer, some of which may be dog-friendly. It’s always best to call ahead and find out.
The Richmond SPCA provides an extensive list of local restaurants, dog parks, etc. that are dog-friendly.
Have a WONDERFUL summer with your BFF (Best Furry Friend!). Remember to keep plenty of fresh, cool water available for your friend on these hot, humid days, and be aware of his little tender feet on hot pavement.
If you know of other fun, dog friendly events, we’d love to hear from you!