Probably the worst thing about having a dog is having to pick up their smelly piles of doo-doo. At Holiday…
Oh my goodness, it’s April already! There are so many fun things for you and your dog to enjoy together in our area from April through Labor Day! We had better start making plans!
We are fortunate to have so many dog-friendly venues! From events, restaurants, parks, baseball games to shopping malls, dogs can do just about anything in our area. What a great place to live, right?
Don’t forget to take along some fresh water when you’re out with your pooch during the heat of the day. As you know, Richmond is really hot in the summertime and your dog is wearing a fur coat. Water may not always be accessible, and your pup could quickly overheat. Also, don’t forget the poop bags! To make sure that our dogs continue to be able to join us in public places, we need to be good advocates of them, making sure to pick up their waste. Lastly, be aware of your pup’s delicate little paw pads and just how hot that pavement may be. Burned paw pads can be very painful.
This year we have the events listed in date order under two sections: Annual or one-time events, and Recurring events. Then at the bottom of the blog, we listed a few fun places for our pets to go with us any time!
● April 13th: 2nd Annual Jack Ryan Music Festival is on Saturday, April 13th, 2019, from 2PM – 5PM at Midlothian Mines Park. The park is located at 13301 N. Woolridge Road in Midlothian. Music, food, brews, vendors – all kinds of fun! For more information, visit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2nd-annual-jack-ryan-music-festival-tickets-54795035426
● April 20th: K9 Heroes Day, featuring Pooch Pursuit 5K Run/2K Walk! This dog friendly event will be held from 9AM – 1PM on Saturday, April 20, 2019 at Pole Green Park (13017 Taylor Complex Lane) in Ashland, VA, honoring k-9 heroes and companions. Admission is varied based on type of registration. The event will highlight a variety of pet-friendly vendors, amazing demonstrations and k9 Fun Zone filled with activities and games! All dogs must remain on a secure leash and have current license and rabies vaccination. For more information, visit: https://tinyurl.com/y4p6ky2n
● April 20th: Friends of Richmond K-9 Harry Pherson, Memorial 5K for K-9’s, Saturday, April 20th, 2019, from 9AM – 11AM at William Byrd Park. Registration ends April 18th. Dogs are allowed with owner under the following conditions: Dog must be friendly, well behaved and under owners control at all times. Dog must be up to date on shots. Dog must be on 6′ non retractable leash. We ask that runners with dogs start near the back of the pack at beginning of race for safety of all runners and dogs. Owners must bring own bags to clean up after dog if necessary. For more information, visit: https://runsignup.com/Race/VA/Richmond/FriendsofRichmondK9s5KforK9s
● April 27th: Woofstock. Richmond Animal League (RAL) will host the 12th annual Woofstock Festival, a family-friendly dog festival with music, adoptions, games, and fun on Saturday, April 27, 2019 from 10AM – 2PM at Westchester Commons. Holiday Barn Pet Resorts is proud to be a sponsor of Woofstock!
● April 27th: Walk to Cure Arthritis – Richmond. This year’s arthritis walk begins at Mary Munford Elementary School, located at 211 Westmoreland Avenue in Richmond. Registration begins at 8AM, walk begins at 9AM. The Arthritis walk in Richmond is always a dog-friendly and fun event! For more information, visit https://events.arthritis.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=764
● April 28th: Bow Wow Meow Luau – This is the first of what we hope to be an annual Spring Dog Event with the Richmond Animal Care and Control Foundation! The event is on Sunday, April 28th, at Strangeways Brewing from noon till 6PM. Beer, dogs, food trucks, pet vendors, pet contests, pet blessings, and more. It’s a free event. Well behaved leashed dogs only, please. For more information, visit: https://strangewaysbrewing.com/happenings/bow-wow-meow-luau-spring-dog-event-raccf/
● May 4th: 2nd Annual Rescue Dog Olympics, hosted by Goochland Pet Lovers and Lickinghole Creek Brewery. In addition to doggie games and competitions, there will be adoptions, vendors, food trucks, live music, a costume contest, and probably lots of wet kisses! The event will take place at Lickinghole Creek Brewery, located at 4100 Knolls Point Drive in Goochland on Saturday, May 4th from 12PM – 5PM.
● May 11th & 12th: Mommapalooza on Mother’s Day weekend, 11AM – 7PM, at the James River Cellars Winery. Bring Mom out for a very special pairing of Strawberry Shortcake, and James River Cellars’ Montpelier Blush, or as they call it for this weekend, Mom-pelier Blush! Enjoy the afternoon on our patio or bring a picnic to enjoy on the lawn. Live music from 1PM – 4PM. Food Trucks on site! Leashed dogs are welcome!
● May 11th: Ardent Craft Ale Fifth Anniversary Block Party is Saturday, May 11th from 1PM till 11:45PM. Live art, vendors, food trucks, 20 bands, craft beer, carnival games + kids zone by Jupiter Bounce, and so much more. Tickets are $10/$15 general admission, $20 day of, and $100 VIP tickets. Friendly dogs are welcome as long as they remain leashed. For more information, visit: http://holdmyticket.com/event/337214-the-5yr-anniversary-block-party-art-music-craft-beer-festival
● May 11th: Garden Paw-ty at the Urban Roost Beer Garden, Saturday, May 11th from 11AM – 2PM. The Urban Roost Beer Garden is located next to “Lunch, and Supper” at 1215 Summit Avenue in Richmond. 10% of all proceeds between 11 – 2 will be donated to the Richmond SPCA. For more information, visit: https://richmondspca.org/events/garden-paw-ty-at-the-urban-roost-beer-garden/
● May 17th & 18th: Dominion Riverrock is Friday through Sunday, May 17th – 19th at Brown’s Island. From music to mud pits, bikes to beer, sups to pups and climbing to kayaks, this event is uniquely Richmond! Dominion Riverrock is arguably the most dog friendly event in Richmond. Starts at 5PM on Friday, pretty much runs all day Saturday, and winds down around 4PM on Sunday. Visit their website for more information: https://www.riverrockrva.com/
● May 18th: Hanover Vegetable Farm’s Fourth Annual Strawberry and Wine Festival – Leashed pets are welcomed to enjoy two days of music, vendors and, of course, strawberries! Wine and Beer for the humans! This fabulous festival takes place on Saturday, May 18th from 11AM – 6PM and on Sunday, May 19th from 11AM – 5PM. The Hanover Vegetable Farm is at 13580 Ashland Road in Ashland. Tickets at the gate are $15.
● June 2nd: The Celebrate Varina Festival will take place this year on Sunday, June 2, 2019 at Dorey Park (2999 Darbytown Road in Henrico) from 10AM – 2PM. Activities will include live music, games, inflatables, train rides, balloon animals and airbrush tattoos, mini horses, train rides and more. There will also be a vendor fair, exhibitors, the new Dorey Park Farmers Market, HCPS art display, HCPL mobile library services and concessions. Dorey Park is Dog friendly. They also have an off-leash dog park if your pup needs to blow-off a little energy while there!
● June 2nd: Broad Appetite’, a local favorite food festival. Sunday, June 2nd from 11AM – 6PM, on West Broad Street between Henry & Adams. Be sure to visit BroadAppetit.com closer to the event for more details on music, food and fun.
● June 7th: FETCH a cure’s 12th Annual Pets on Parade! This year’s event will take place at the gorgeous Main Street station in downtown Richmond at 1500 East Main Street. It’s Friday evening, June 7th from 6PM-10PM. For ticket and more information, visit: https://fetchacure.org/event/12th-annual-pets-parade/ Holiday Barn Pet Resorts is a proud sponsor of FETCH a cure’s Pets on Parade!
● June 8th – The Boxer Brief 5K Run Walk will take place at 9200 Stony Point Parkway where your dogs are welcome. The 5K is to raise awareness of colorectal cancer. The race is from 8AM – 10AM and costs $35 to participate. Registration closes on June 7, 2019 at 5PM and re-opens on June 8, 2019 at 6AM. For registration information, visit https://runsignup.com/Race/VA/Richmond/BoxerBrief5K.
● June 8th & 9th: The RVA East End Festival is at 12PM, Saturday and Sunday, June 8th and 9th at dog-friendly Chimborazo Park. The festival is an inclusive community celebration highlighting the diverse neighborhoods and unique quality of Richmond’s East end. Music, dance, food, retail vendors, and lots more. Dogs must be on a leash.
● June 9th: Wanna drive your dog’s nose WILD? Take them to the Richmond Bacon Festival, Sunday, June 9th, 2019, from 12PM – 5PM at the 17th Street Farmers market. $1 suggested entry donation to EnRichmond. Music Food Beer. 4-legged friends welcome. Must be socialized, leashed. Please keep summer temperatures in mind.
● June 14th: Wine and Whiskers is an animal-friendly event at Willow Lawn that features wine, beer, food and live music. The event is in its seventh year and boasts an attendance of over 2,000! Tickets are $20. Proceeds from the event will benefit local animal non-profit, FETCH a Cure. 6PM – 9PM. Holiday Barn Pet Resorts is a sponsor of this fun event!
● June 16th: The Richmond Road Runners Club’s Thanks Dad 5K is designed as a Father’s Day run to highlight the special relationship between fathers and grandfathers and their sons/daughters and grandsons/granddaughters. The run will take place at The Urban Farmhouse Market & Café, 13872 Coalfield Commons Place in Midlothian, starting at 8:30AM. Registration through May 31st. This is a dog-friendly event. Runners with a single dog on a leash are permitted. We will require that you start at the rear of the starting corral if you are running with a dog. Click here https://runsignup.com/Race/VA/Midlothian/ThanksDad5k for more information.
● July 4th: Red, White and Lights – This year, the Henrico county July 4th celebration is at Dorey Park From 4PM – 10PM. This event features live entertainment, food trucks, and children’s activities. At 8PM, enjoy a concert by the Richmond Symphony with a fireworks finale! Your pup will enjoy all the activities up until the fireworks…then he may be more comfortable at home. Dorey Park is located at 2999 Darbytown Road in Henrico.
● July 12th & 13th: Hanover Tomato Festival – It doesn’t get more fun for you and your dog than at the Hanover Tomato Festival. This year the festival is on Friday, July 12th & Saturday, July 13th from 9AM – 4PM at Pole Green Park in Mechanicsville. Live musical entertainment, rides, games, over 150 vendors, delicious tomato dishes and much more! Be sure to treat your pup to a visit to the “Bow Wow Beach” cooling station. All animals must be on a leash.
● July 13th: 7th Annual Smoke and Vine Festival – This year the Smoke and Vine Festival is returning to its original, dog-friendly location of James River Cellars Winery, with even more wine and cigar options! Live music, great food, and great times! July 13th from 4PM – 10PM. For more information, visit http://www.smokeandvinefestival.com/.
● June 15th: Ashland Strawberry Faire – The Ashland Strawberry Faire is Saturday, June 15th from 10AM – 5PM at the Randolph Macon College in Ashland. The Faire is a traditional celebration to promote the community and celebrate the strawberry harvest. In addition to amazing food, including all of your strawberry favorites, of course, there will be lots of fun vendors and live entertainment by various musical, dance and demonstration groups in the community. Dogs are welcome! In fact, you can enter him/her in the Pet Pageant!
● June 22nd: Shrimp, Maters & Mugs Festival – Those folks at the Hanover Vegetable Farm know how to paw-ty! The dog-friendly Shrimp Mater, & Mugs Festival takes place on Saturday, June 22nd from 2PM – 8:30PM, at the farm, located at 13580 Ashland Road in Ashland. Shrimp galore, live music, cold brews, wine tasting, and lots of fun vendors! Proceeds benefiting the Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU. Ticket prices vary, click here to learn more: https://www.hanovervegetablefarm.com/shrimp-fest/.
● July 20th: Stony Point Wine Festival, Saturday, July 20th from 11AM – 5PM. An amazing day of Virginia wines, music, food and fun, all in a beautiful outdoor setting. The festival will take place at Stony Point Fashion Park, 9200 Stony Point Parkway, Richmond. Dogs are always welcome at Stony Point Fashion Park.
● August 11th: CARYTOWN WATERMELON FESTIVAL The 36th Annual Carytown Watermelon Festival is Sunday, August 11th, from 10AM – 6PM. Holiday Barn Pet Resorts guests love watermelon, and your pup probably does too! If he’s comfortable around 115,000 people, 60 musicians, and 150 exhibitors, then he will have a great time at the Watermelon Festival. We know you will too!
● Starting April 4th: Hardywood Park Craft Brewery – Richmond – Leashed dogs are welcomed on their outdoor grounds, just not in the taproom. Starting April 4th, and on every Thursday thereafter, the Richmond location will have Food Truck Court from 5PM – 9PM! Hardywood Richmond is located at 2410 Ownby Lane, Richmond.
● Hardywood Park Craft Brewery – Westcreek – Same Food Truck fun as their Richmond location (above), but on Wednesdays! Hardywood’s Westcreek location is at 820 Sanctuary Trail Drive in Richmond. Leashed dogs welcome! 5PM – 9PM
● Starting April 6th: The Farmers Market at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church – Open year-round on Saturdays, the market moves outdoors for spring, summer and fall beginning on Saturday, April 6th, and running through November 16th. Your dog is welcome to come with you! Market hours are 8AM until noon.
● Starting April 8th: Richmond Squirrels, “Bark in the Park” – One of the Richmond Squirrel’s most popular nights of baseball, “Bark in the Park” is back again this year. We are really excited about it as Holiday Barn Pet Resorts is presenting the “Dog Cam” (you know, like the “Kiss Cam”?)! Oh, one more thing – post a picture on Twitter (@gosquirrels) of you and your dog at the game (use hashtag #HolidayBarnPup) and the Squirrels may pick your dog as the “Pup of the Game”! Bark in the Park nights this year are April 8th & 22nd, May 6th, June 24th, July 22nd, August 19th, and September 2nd. We’ll be looking for your and your pup on the “Dog Cam”!
● Starting April 10th: Tail Waggin’ Wednesdays at Center of the Universe Brewing! Come out to Center of the Universe to jam out with live music and enjoy amazing food from 5:30-8:30PM EVERY Wednesday from April through August! 10% of the series proceeds will benefit our furry four-legged friends at the Friends of Hanover Dog Parks and the Hanover Humane Society!
● Beginning on April 11th: Pups and Pints takes place at Ellwood Thompson’s the 2nd Thursday of every month from 5PM to 7PM. Ellwood Thompson is proud to support a different animal-loving, non-profit neighbor each month. $1 from every drink sold goes to the non-profit partner. On April 11th, $1 from each pint will be donated to the Richmond SPCA.
● Starting April 13th: Richmond Night Market at the 17th Street Market, Shockhoe Bottom. Saturday, April 13, 2019, from 5PM-10:00PM, April through December.
● April 13th: Strangeways Brewery’s Unofficial Official After-Party following the Richmond Monument 10k Race on April 13th. Brews, Zorch pizza, and your pup… Can’t beat that! For more information, click here: https://strangewaysbrewing.com/happenings/rva-monument-10k-pre-race-party-trolley-shuttle-strangeways/
● Starting April 28th: History Hounds – In partnership with the Richmond SPCA, the History Hounds will take to the trail on Sunday, April 28th from 10AM – 12PM. The Valentine Richmond History Center invites you and your dog to come along for this walking tour of Richmond and the James River. Dogs must be up to date on vaccinations, mix well with others, and remain on a leash. Space is limited. Advance reservations are required for all History Hounds walks. For more information, visit the Richmond SPCA web site at: https://richmondspca.org/events/history-hounds-james-river-april-2019/.
● On Sunday, May 26th, The Valentine invites you to bring your dog along for this walking tour of Richmond’s historic Church Hill neighborhood. Same time – 10AM – 12PM! The tour begins at Patrick Henry Park, at East Broad and 24th streets. Space is limited. Advance reservations are required.
● Starting May 16th: Run with The (Richmond SPCA) Dogs. Help exercise and socialize shelter dogs with the Richmond SPCA Running Buddies and Hardywood Craft Brewery. Meet at the Richmond SPCA every 3rd Thursday from May through October. The run starts at 5:30PM and is is 2.25 miles long. There is no preregistration and admittance is free. While you’re running with a shelter dog, your own dog can wait for your return with a friend at Hardywood for some refreshing brews and Food Truck Fare.
● Starting June 13th: Fido’s After Five – Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden partners with the Richmond SPCA allowing leashed dogs during “Flower’s After 5”. Known as “Fido’s After Five”, this fun event takes place on the following on the nights: June 13 & 27, July 11& 25, August 8 & 22, September 12, 2019 at 5PM. Live music, food and fun! Bring a blanket! In addition to the regular admission fee, a $2.00 suggested “pet admission” goes to the Richmond SPCA.
● Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery is always dog-friendly brewery and a great place to hang out on a summer evening. The brewery is located on 290 acres of rolling hills, fields of barley, hops, wheat, corn, pumpkins, sunflowers, trees and a whole lot more. It’s a bit far out, but worth the trip. Their address is 4100 Knolls Point Drive, Goochland, VA. Farm hours are Monday – Thursday from 9AM – 5PM, Friday from 3PM – 9PM, Saturday from 12PM – 9PM, and Sunday from 2PM – 7PM.
● Take your dog shopping at Stony Point Fashion Park! Many of the shops and restaurant patios are pet friendly!
● The E. Clairborne and Lora Robins Sculpture Garden at the Virginia Museum of Fine arts is a beautiful outdoor retreat. In addition to its expansive lawn, where you’ll find people doing yoga, walking their dogs, eating lunch on the patio, or just taking in a pretty day, you can enjoy captivating art work, water features and sculpture exhibits.
● The Hollywood Cemetery is one of our city’s most treasured attractions. Leashed dogs are allowed and they must be both human and animal-friendly. Your dog will enjoy a quiet walk and fresh air, while you enjoy the beautiful scenery.
● The 17th Street Farmer’s Market (100 N. 7th Street) in Richmond is always a pleasant, dog-friendly place to visit!
● Isley Brewing Company has a spacious, pooch-friendly outdoor patio that frequently hosts live music. They are located at 1715 Summit Avenue in Richmond.
Here is a link to our listing of dog friendly Richmond area parks: https://holidaybarn.com/dog-friendly-parks-in-the-richmond-virginia-area/.
The Richmond SPCA publishes an awesome Pet Friendly guide for Richmond. It provides an extensive list of local restaurants, dog parks, hotels, etc., with a convenient search tool to find just what you’re looking for: https://richmondspca.org/what-we-do/resources/pet-friendly-housing-places-guide/
There are many more activities throughout the Richmond area this summer, some of which may be dog-friendly. It’s always best to call ahead and find out.
If you know of other dog friendly events in our area, we’d love to hear from you!
Have a wonderful summer with your best furry friend!
Probably the worst thing about having a dog is having to pick up their smelly piles of doo-doo. At Holiday…
I was out walking near a lake the other day and a couple was there with their Irish Setter and…