Richmond dogs are lucky! There are so many places they can go with their humans! Festivals, restaurants, parks… you name it and there are plenty of options for you and your BFF to visit together. Don’t you just love that about this awesome city?
You may be familiar with the blog we posted earlier this year of dog-friendly event for the summer. Now, we have put together a list of super fun, dog-friendly events for fall! Some annual Halloween and holiday events have not yet been scheduled, so this listing is not 100% complete at this time. Here’s an idea… When you hear of something we didn’t cover, we would love for you to reply and let us know!
Tips for Taking Your Dog to Events
Okay, as always, a few things we should all keep in mind when we are out in public with our dog:
- Always carry poop bags and use them!
- Take along fresh water for your pup.
- Make sure your dog stays on a leash at all times while in public.
- If your dog isn’t happy around people and/or lots of activity, please leave them at home where they will be more comfortable.
- If your dog has not been taught “good manners”, it’s not a good idea to take them around other people. I’m sure you don’t want them to be a nuisance to others.
- September and October can still be very hot in our area…. Keep an eye on your pup to make sure they do not get overheated or burn their little paws on the pavement.
One more thing… You can have the confidence of knowing that your dog will behave properly in any situation with professional dog training. Contact our Trainers for more information about our Personal Dog Training program. Wouldn’t it be great to take your dog along wherever you go?
Oh, BTW, Holiday Barn Pet Resorts will be sponsoring a few of these awesome fall events: Glen Allen Day on September 15th, and the Richmond Dog Festival on September 29th! Stop by and say hello! Okay, let’s get to it! You have a busy (and fun!) season just around the corner!
(Drum roll please…)
38 Dog-Friendly Fall Festivals & Events
We have compiled a listing of 38 Dog Friendly Festivals and Events – covering over 50 days – in the Richmond Area! Listing is sorted by date, beginning September 1st!
WEEKLY OR BI-WEEKLY EVENTS IN THE RICHMOND, VA AREA THAT ARE DOG-FRIENDLY IN 2018
- The Farmers Market at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church – Open year-round on Saturdays, the market moves outdoors for spring, summer and fall through November 17th. Your dog is welcome to come with you! Market hours are 8:00 AM until noon. The St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church is located at 6000 Grove Avenue in Richmond.
- Hardywood Park Craft Brewery – West Creek – Leashed Dogs are allowed on their expansive outdoor grounds, just not in the taproom. Every Wednesday through October 24th, the West Creek location will have Food Truck Court from 5:00 – 9:00 PM! Hardywood West Creek is located at 820 Sanctuary Trail Drive, Richmond.
- Hardywood Park Craft Brewery – Richmond – Same Food Truck fun as their West Creek location (above), but on Thursdays! Last one for the season is October 25th. Conveniently located at their Richmond taproom, 2410 Ownby Lane in Richmond. Leashed dogs welcome! Hours vary slightly, 5:00 PM – 9:30 PM.
- Farmer’s Market at Dorey Park – Every Saturday from through October 27th, your dog can go shopping with you at Dorey Park from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM! Dorey Park’s address is 2999 Darbytown Road in Henrico.
- The 17th Street Farmer’s Market (100 N 17th Street) in Richmond is always a pleasant, dog-friendly place to visit!
- South of the James Farmer’s Market is located at New Kent Ave, Richmond, VA 23225. Leashed dogs are welcome!
- Yappy Hour at Strangeways Brewing – Strangeways Brewing is proud to support local nonprofit animal advocacy groups through monthly Yappy Hours through November, from 5:00 – 9:00PM. Beer tastings for the humans and treats for the pups! And, oh, it’s free! Contact Strangeways Brewing for exact dates. The brewery is located at 2277 Dabney Rd, Richmond, VA 23230.
Every Day Dog-Friendly Places to Visit in Richmond
- Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery is always dog-friendly and a great place to hang out on a crisp early fall evening. The brewery is located at 4100 Knolls Point Dr, Goochland, VA 23063.
- Take your dog shopping at Stony Point Fashion Park! Many of the shops and restaurant patios are pet friendly!
- The E. Clairborne and Lora Robins Sculpture Garden at the Virginia Museum of Fine arts is a beautiful outdoor retreat. In addition to its expansive lawn, where you’ll find people doing yoga, walking their dogs, eating lunch on the patio, or just taking in a pretty day, you can enjoy captivating art work, water features and sculpture exhibits. The address for the garden is 200 N. Boulevard, Richmond.
- The Hollywood Cemetery is one of our city’s most treasured attractions. Leashed dogs are allowed and must be both human and animal-friendly. Your dog will enjoy a quiet walk and fresh air, while you enjoy the beautiful scenery. The address for the Hollywood Cemetery is 412 S Cherry St, Richmond, VA 23220.
- Isley Brewing Co. has a spacious, pooch-friendly outdoor patio that frequently hosts live music. They are located at 1715 Summit Avenue in Richmond.
- The Carytown Farmers market at City Stadium, 3201 Maplewood Ave, Richmond, welcomes leashed dogs.
A Few More Dog-Friendly Places
You’ll love this too… Here is a link to our listing of dog-friendly Richmond area parks!
One more thing… The Richmond SPCA publishes an awesome Pet-Friendly guide for Richmond. It provides an extensive list of local restaurants, dog parks, hotels, etc., with a convenient search tool to find just what you’re looking for!
Have a great fall!
There are many more activities throughout the Richmond area this fall, some of which may be dog-friendly. It’s always best to call ahead and find out. If you know of other dog-friendly events in our area, we’d love to hear from you!
Have a wonderful fall with your best furry friend!